Monday, January 16, 2012

Travel Day

Travel day! The day started at 5:30 am. Yes, same as every other day, but what a different day it will become! The temperature outside is 5 degrees. Brrrr! Glad we’re heading somewhere warmer. I put on a t shirt and sweater so I could get rid of the sweater as things warmed up. Today, I didn’t even wear long underwear *Gasp*. And yes, my legs were cold as I hurried to the garage to get in the colder van. No problems driving to the airport. We parked at the Park and Go, like we always do when we fly out of Minneapolis, St. Paul International Airport. Left our jackets in the van and took the shuttle to the airport. It wasn’t too bad, the shuttle was somewhat warmed up. It sure beats trying to park at the airport, and especially pay their parking fees!
We made it through security just fine. It took us about 40 minutes to check in and get through security which I thought wasn’t bad. I had to take my shoes off and my sweater, and place in a bin. I also had to take the laptop out and place in a bin. People are fairly used to the routine now. I had to laugh at the woman in front of me. She was very focused on her cell phone in line, almost not noticing when people in front of her moved forward. I finally saw what she was so engrossed in – a card solitaire game on her phone!
Eventually we made it to the gate. Still lots of time left so we had breakfast at the Burger King near the gate – actually pretty tasty croissant-sandwich, egg with bacon. The potato nuggets weren’t good at all which was fine because they weren’t good for me. When it was time to board, the plane was obviously going to be full there were so many people. We sat across from a couple with three young girls. It reminded me of when our family traveled when the children were young.  The father told us he gets lonely when he has to travel for business.  When his young daughters were all around him asking for attention, telling him things they saw, his wife asked if he was lonely! He laughed because he said it was VERY different traveling this time than the usual. We completely understood.
 There was another family that came late – a large, possibly Somalian family with 5 children. At least two of the children were special needs. One girl was possibly autistic and obviously anxious about the trip or the people around her. Her father tried to comfort her as much as possible but it is difficult when there are so many people around and no good way to find a quieter place for her. Another child was quite exuberant but a little loud for the situation. I hoped that they would settle down on the plane once we got underway. I get a little anxious too so I felt for the family. It made me remember all the things I would collect and buy to take on the plane with our children – Silly Putty, coloring books, reading books, travel games. I had almost as much fun looking for things to bring as the children had discovering them! Unfortunately, I couldn't think of anything I had that could help these children.
At one point my name was called over the loudspeaker asking that I come up to the desk. I turned to Jacky, “Do you think they mean me?”  He didn’t think so. I stayed sitting. The plane started boarding and we were still waiting for our “zone” to be called when my name came over the loud speaker again. Now I was getting a little worried so we made our way up to the desk. Imagine my surprise when I found they had upgraded us to First Class!!! I wished I had gone up when they first called me but no problem, most of the plane was boarded by now. We got two seats on the fourth row, right in front of Coach. How wonderful!!! I have no idea why but we are enjoying it now. Lots of room and I’m full of water and snacks. Coming in to Phoenix so I have to say good by.
View out the plane window (from row33...)

While I was getting snacks, Jacky was asked if we could trade seats again so a family could be together. could we possibly be so lucky as to get first class again??????Sadly no. We ended up on row 33 - second from the end. What a difference! Talk about sardines. and this was our long flight - it was supposed to be almost 7 hours. We had a bit more luck, with a good tail wind we made in 40 minutes early. But....it took Jacky and me those 40 minutes to finally get off the plane since everyone else went first!
Beautiful view of the Hawaiian islands

Met up with Jacky's brother and sister-in-law, found a rental, found the hotel (finally). Jacky went and picked up his sister, we went to find an open restaurant and ended up eating supper at 10:00 Hawaiian time, which was 2:00 am our time, after missing out on lunch. Long Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment