It's much more impressive with the sound of the waves crashing against the volcanic rocks and the wind rushing by. There were lots of people walking there (all of which made better clothing decisions than I did) which surprised me because there were no safety rails, no marked trail. At any moment someone could slip and fall into the ocean EEK! The three of us made it back safely with a little sun burn showing (Yea!).
After a delicious lunch at Maui Brewery (and yes, I tried a beer - the Parrotbill ale) - fish and chips with 'ono' fish this time. we went back to the condo for a nap. Yes, I said a nap. Hey, it IS vacation! Then Allen, Carolyn, Jacky and I all got on our swimsuits and snorkel gear and headed to the beach for practice. We first went to DT Fleming State Beach Park. That was a mistake. The waves were crashing on the shore and there were plenty of rocks. I could see this was a beach mainly for worshiping the sun (and not in the water) but we tried. Poor Carolyn is quite nervous in water and , brave soul that she is, still tried . She got into the water and I had her on one side and Allen on the other. All of a sudden (not really) a HUGE wave hit us and knocked the three of us down. I was struggling to hang on to Carolyn and brace for the next wave. Jacky, of course, was floating out a ways, watching and laughing at us. Well, Carolyn started laughing - I could hear it through her snorkel tube because she hadn't taken it off yet, then Allen and I started laughing. Meanwhile waves kept hitting us and knocking us back down. We looked like the three stooges! I was too embarrassed to look at the other people on the beach. I'm sure they were quite entertained.
When we finally got out, I told Jacky a quieter beach would be better, otherwise we wouldn't get any snorkeling practice done!
We went just a little ways south to a beach I believe was Kapulua Beach. That was the RIGHT decision! It was perfect. I was hesitant at first - hadn't snorkeled since I was young. Carolyn still had some issues but she did try. I was anxious to try out my new GoPro camera which had a waterproof housing. I was hoping it would take good video under the water for our snorkeling adventure. The water was cool but not unbearable. Jacky and Allen went right in but I took a little time getting wet inch by slow inch (Carolyn went back to the towels). But the first time I put my head in and saw tropical fish RIGHT THERE, I was hooked! I immediately turned my camera on.Unfortunately it doesn't have a lens that I can watch what is showing up on the video, or photo. So I just hold it in front of me. There were so many fish I think I started to hyperventilate (only kidding Mom).I saw for sure the beautiful 'Moorish Idol' - star of "Finding Nemo" movie, and the "Lei Triggerfish", another colorful one. Others I'm not so sure of their names but it was so exciting! I did go back to shore and put the flippers on, but one round with them and they came off - my poor feet/toes were cramping up! Maybe they'll be better tomorrow. The GoPro took pretty good video. I just have to try to keep it on one thing at a time. See for yourself:
Ha! I'm sure you were expecting a different kind of fish. Well, it seems the blogger only wants to let you see one video, not two. Since I'm hoping to have good videos tomorrow, we'll just leave you with this photo of the Jack-Fish. Tomorrow we leave at 7:00 am for a full day of whale and dolphin watching as well as snorkeling!!!! Poor Lee will have to stay back at the condo. So I'll try to capture what I can. You never know what you may - or not - see on these trips. We did watch whales all day long play in the waters. Of course they were too far away to take any photos. Wish me luck tomorrow then!
Back to the condo for a supper of apple,banana, and fresh pineapple. Yum! See you tomorrow!
Love it, Lori! Even got video today. Look forward to tomorrow. Hope that you get pictures of whales.
ReplyDelete